The Atomic Energy Scholarship of China (AES) was jointly initiated by the China Atomic Energy Authority and the Ministry of Education of China in 2017. It is aimed at providing financial support to outstanding students, technicians and administrators from emerging nuclear power application countries to study in China. Harbin Engineering University is entrusted to be responsible for the education program.
Guided by the demands of the international community, and aimed at cultivating professionals of nuclear power, the AES Program will rely on the education platform of international nuclear professionals, adopt a diverse and double-supervisor training mode, and establish a professional education system coordinated by the government, university and enterprise.
Harbin Engineering University makes use of two platforms: technical cooperation projects of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and “111” Innovation Brainpower Importing Base, referring to the professional curricula of nuclear engineering in international first-class universities, and promotes the construction of an international curriculum system.
Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering of Harbin Engineering University is the first program to have passed the Nuclear Engineering Education Accreditation in China. Harbin Engineering University has been widely recognized and earned its high reputation from its education programs. Harbin Engineering University, as a major nuclear talent education base in China as well as nuclear education and training center of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), enjoys unique resource advantages in the field of nuclear energy professional education.
The curricula of AES Program include degree courses, selective courses, comprehensive sessions, and practice sessions, as well as visits and internship opportunities in Chinese companies, institutes and bases.
Annual enrollment will consist of 25-30 Master candidates and 10-15 Doctoral candidates.
Duration of the Scholarship
- Candidates for Master’s degree: 3 years;
- Candidates for Doctoral degree: 4 years;
- The duration of the Scholarship will be defined upon the student’s admission to the university, and will not be extended in principle.
Details of the Scholarship
- Including registration fee(400yuan RMB), tuition fee(99000-168000yuan RMB), and on-campus accommodation fee(25200-52800yuan RMB);
- 800yuan RMB per year for Comprehensive Medical Insurance;
- Monthly living allowance is granted to the candidates (Yuan RMB per month):Master degree candidate: 3000 Yuan RMB
Doctoral degree candidate: 3500 Yuan RMB
NOTE: The scholarship does NOT COVER international air tickets and transportation and living expense for family members.
Application for AES
- The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health, from an emerging nuclear power country.
- The applicant must apply for the postgraduate program of Nuclear Power Engineering related specialties.
- Applicants should have the knowledge of Mathematics and Physics, and excellent ability in scientific research.
- Applicants should have good English-proficiency in writing, reading and communication.
- Educational background required and age limit: – Applicants for master degree studies should hold a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35;
– Applicants for doctoral degree studies should hold a master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Any applicant who is currently engaged in atomic energy and nuclear power or relevant sectors will be given high priority.
From November 15, 2018 to January 15, 2019.
The applicants must fill in and provide the following materials truly and correctly (all paper materials should be one original notarized set and one copy sets).
All the applicants apply for Atomic Energy Scholarship (AES) are required to finish TWO ON-LINE APPLICATION SYSTEMS
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn), fill in and print the application form after submitting online. (Please choose the Type B) – Agency number of HEU is 10217.
- HEU On-line Application System (http://issp.hrbeu.edu.cn), fill in and print the application form after submitting online.
- Highest diploma (notarized photocopy). If applicants are university students, they should provide pre-graduation certificate.
- Transcripts (notarized photocopy in English or Chinese). Applicants for Doctoral degree program are required to submit both transcripts of Bachelor and Master Programs.
- Study Plan (no less than 800 words). (Applicants are encouraged to choose 5 professors prior to application from admission website and write down their names on the study plan.(attachment 1)
- Passport Copy of Information Page. （The copy of ORDINARY passport is required）
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form. (attachment 2)
- Two Recommendation Letters by professors or associate professors (written in English or Chinese with signature).
- Applicant whose native language is not English should submit an English-proficiency score, with a score of at least 80 on the TOEFL Internet-based exam or 5.5 on the IELTS.
- Applicants who are employed should submit the employment certificate issued by the employer.
- These application documents will not be returned whether the application is accepted or not.
- If the qualifications or application materials of the applicants cannot meet the requirements, they shall be deemed invalid and shall not be accepted.
- Applicant should inform timely if materials cannot be submitted on time for some reason.
- The school reserves the right to suspend the scholarship upon discovering that there is any inaccurate information or false materials found in the application materials provided by the applicant.
Applicants should submit paper application materials (one original hard copy and two general copies) in time to International Office, Harbin Engineering University.
Admission of AES
All the application materials will be reviewed by HEU. After getting the approval of both China Scholarship Council (CSC) and Ministry of Education (MOE), applicants can be officially awarded AES.
- Applicants are not allowed, in principle, to change their supervisors, specialties, institutions, or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice after registration.
- Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) will be posted by HEU to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31st, so as to have these documents forwarded to the awardees. The scholarship results will be announced in the column of “NOTICE” at HEU International Student Admission website (http://studyheu.hrbeu.edu.cn) and at Atomic Energy Scholarship of China website(http：://aeschina.hrbeu.edu.cn).
- Applicants who do not register before September 30th are regarded as giving up the scholarship.
China Atomic Energy Authority
The China Atomic Energy Authority (CAEA) leads international cooperation with foreign institutes in the nuclear industry. CAEA is responsible for promoting nuclear industry development, R&D and capacity building in nuclear science and technology, nuclear emergency management, and the administration of importing and exporting nuclear materials. CAEA also plays an important role in the global use of peaceful nuclear energy, non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, and promotes relevant domestic enterprises, institutes, and universities’ participation and cooperation with the IAEA.
The Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China
The Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China (MOE of PRC) is the agency of the PRC State Council that regulates aspects of education, language and culture. The MOE has 19 internal offices and departments, which include the “Secretariat of National Commission of the People’s Republic of China for UNESCO”. In addition, the MOE directly administers 15 educational social groups and organizations.
Harbin Engineering University
Harbin Engineering University (HEU, formerly Harbin Military Engineering Institute), founded in 1953, is located in Harbin, known in China as the Ice City, near the beautiful Songhua River. HEU is one of the first key universities in the national “211 Project” (to set up 100 national key universities in 21st Century) and the key construction on the Specific Disciplines Innovation Platform (belongs to 985 project).
HEU has 3,006 staff, including 1,803 full-time teachers, 1,062 professors and associate professors, 8 academicians, and about 28,278 students in different levels, including 15,124 undergraduate students, 7,759 postgraduate students and 1,348 international students etc. HEU has developed milestones of China’s first experimental submarine, the hydrofoil, hovercraft, scuba diving lifeboat, duplex manned submersible, dynamic positioning mother ship, the first set of high-tech equipment, full range of nuclear power simulation system. HEU is China’s important personnel training and scientific research base in the fields of Shipbuilding Industry, Marine Equipment, Ocean Exploration, and Nuclear Energy Application.
For more information, please see http://studyheu.hrbeu.edu.cn/2018/1031/c6382a205522/page.htm